Operation Oswego County's mission is to establish and implement sound economic development strategies in order to enhance the economic vitality of Oswego County's businesses, industries and citizens leading to an overall better quality of life.
Since 1953, Operation Oswego County has helped deliver over $4 billion in investments and the creation or retention of more than 22,800 jobs in Oswego County.
The early organization known as Operation Machine Shop was created due to a crisis involving the closure of a local industry--a machine shop which had employed more than 250 machinists. Operation Machine Shop was incorporated in December of 1952, and its primary mission was two-fold: to organize and plan for the area’s economy by bringing together an inventory of the assets of the community, so they could attract new industry; and to find out which areas of importance were lacking in the community and take corrective measures to provide same.
By April of 1954, the organization had become one of the first civic non-profit industrial development organizations in New York State, and changed its name to Operation Oswego, Inc. This organization was created under section 30 of the Not-for-profit Membership Corporation Law.
By June of 1964, the organization had begun to broaden its vision to include a future with countywide growth, thus causing it to change its name once again to its current name, Operation Oswego County, Inc. This larger not-for-profit organization consists of a 30-member voluntary board of directors comprising of county government, municipalities, the Port Authority, education, labor and private business representatives. The purpose of this all-encompassing group is to streamline the process of economic development by funneling prospects to a single organization, which will give prospective clients prompt and effective service. The private not-for-profit organization is exempt from Federal income taxes under section 501(c)(6) of the Internal Revenue code.